Monday, October 11, 2010

Crêpes and Pumpkin Tarts

Tonight we had Crêpes (both sweet and savory).  I watched "Good Eats" a few months ago and Alton Brown made crêpes.  I have been itching to make them.  I even bought this electric crêpe maker I found at the DI a while back (for only $4!), but life got in the way and tonight I finally got to put it to use.

I followed this recipe for crepes that Alton Brown used on the crêpe episode.  I made one batch of the sweet variation and one batch of the savory variation.

For the savory ones, I just switched garlic salt for the regular salt.  With the leftover spinach, I sautéd them with some fresh mushrooms.  I also cooked some chicken breasts and then diced them up.  We put some shredded cheese on the crêpes, then sprinkled bacon crumbles, then the chicken, then the mushrooms and spinach.  We closed them up and poured gravy on top.  They turned out better than expected!  Even Nate, who does not like spinach, actually preferred the savory ones over the sweet ones.

I liked both so much.  

The sweet ones we had a variety of fillings to chose from:  cherry pie filling, seedless blackberry jam, Nutella, and whipped cream.

 Here are the ones I ate.  For the filling of the sweet one, I chose the jam, pie filling and whipped cream.



For dessert, we had some Cinnamon Toasted Pumpkin Tarts from here.  Instead of drizzling with chocolate, I dolloped with whipped cream.


Look how tasty!


No comments:

Post a Comment